Monday, November 17, 2008

An Open Letter To Jeffrey Dean Morgan


Dear Mr. Morgan,

Please get a new job.

By no means my first experience with you, but definitely the first time I cared enough to Google you, was your stint on Grey's Anatomy as heart transplant patient Denny Duquette. I rooted for you as you worked your way into Katherine Heigl's heart. I even shed a tear or two (or three or four) when, as things are wont to go at Seattle Grace Hospital, things went wrong, and you died tragically. Upon IMDbing you, I found that I had previously enjoyed your work without realizing it-- as similarly dead Judah Botwin on Weeds, even as Joe Zukowski (whoever that is) on a 2005 episode of The O.C.. You convinced me. I became a fan.

JDMBut that was over two seasons ago. Since then, you've reprised your Grey's role seven times. Doesn't a dead guy have better things to do than skulk around Seattle Grace? Currently, the esteemed Ms. Rhimes has Denny haunting Heigl's Izzie, and worse, interfering with her burgeoning relationship with dreamy doc Alex Karev. This I cannot abide.

IMDb lists you as having six films either in production, in post-production or completed but as yet unreleased. One of these is even 2009's The Watchmen, which has every nerd I know spazzing out and may even convince me to give reading the graphic novel it's based upon a shot. Do you really need a paycheck so badly that you have to keep flogging a dead heart transplant patient, so to speak, on Grey's Anatomy? Maybe it ups your rom-com cred with the chicks, and I get that, I do. But seriously? Seriously. Let Denny requiescat in pace and stick with your day job. This moonlighting gig at Seattle Grace is just grating on my nerves.

Thank you for your time, Mr. Morgan. I truly am a fan. I think you're great, even if half the time people just confuse you for Robert Downey, Jr. Keep up the good work in films, and soon your stint in Shondaland will be a mere afterthought on a resume.

Seriously.

Sincerely,

Isle of Everything

6 comments:

Annie said...

Wow.

I really could not disagree more. The reintroduction of this character - and this specific story line - has pretty much saved Grey's from the TV graveyard for me. The show needed some drastic reinterpretation or a transfusion or something and this is the FIRST storyline in over two years that engages the viewer. Karev? Really? I mean - really? Yech. No, thanks. What an unappealing character. Hopefully, this will give the very talented Justin Chambers something to do besides growl and stare blankly.

Amy said...

See, I agree that Justin Chambers should be able to do something besides growl and stare blankly-- but I don't think that YET AGAIN screwing up his love life is gonna do the trick.
Also, I'm afraid they're just making Izzie crazy so they can kill her off, so. Yeah.

Julia R said...

Hear hear! I get tense every time he re-enters the picture, and not just because I think Karev is hot, and he'll ruin Izzie's chances. It's mostly because I don't abide by ghosts or dead people playing a role in network television shows that are otherwise almost suspension-of-disbelief-free. (Although-- who am I kidding?-- Grey's is FAR from realistic.) I'll be interested to see if this storyline leads to Izzie just dealing with a haunting or actually going insane...

Amy said...

I agree with you on the whole "this is completely weird even for Grey's" thing. I mean, really, a ghost? Who she can touch? And do it with? Ugh. I loved Denny but I think it would be a much more emotional and REAL storyline to see her having to actually COPE with him going gone for real and it could also allow room for Alex to grow as a character as he helps her through it. I have no problem with Denny still being an Issue for Izzie-- but do they really have to play it this way?

Annie said...

See that's why it WORKS. Because it IS Grey's. So you KNOW there's a reason for all this. What the eff could it be? That's tantalizing to me. In the meantime we (and by "we" I mean "I") get to salivate over JDM's hotness. What could be better?

Amy said...

Oh yes, JDM is hot. I maintain that he's the poor woman's RDJ, but whatever. I'm poor.